7 Safety Tips Every Realtor and Door-to-Door Sales Professional Need to Practice
These are the top 7 safety tips that criminals don't want you to know. It makes their job harder. What makes a criminal pounce? Intent and Opportunity. Their intent we have no control over, however we definitely can do something about the opportunity. Start thinking like a criminal. How would someone be able to take advantage of you? What throughout your day can put you at the peak time for a criminal to "come in for the kill"?
1. When meeting a client for the first time, have them go to your office or a public establishment.
2. If meeting a potential client at their home, try to bring another colleague with you. Remember, there is always safety in numbers. If you are traveling alone, scope out as you walk towards a clients house where doors are in the house in case a quick getaway is needed.
3. Wearing expensive jewelry makes you a big target. Leave your jewelry at home or locked in your vehicle. Ladies, your spouses will understand.
4. Keep your cell phone clipped to you at all times. This allows you to call the office or a family member on a moments notice.
5. If you are driving a client in your vehicle, make them ride in the passenger seat, not the back of the vehicle. You want to keep your eye on them. Having a client sit in the backseat because your paperwork is in the front leaves you very vulnerable.
6. Keep your keys with you readily available, in a pocket of your pants or jacket or even in your hand. They can be used as a defensive weapon if necessary.
7. And remember always - ALWAYS trust your gut instincts!!! If something doesn't seem right or you have a funny feeling about a client, Get out of there! Make another appointment. Bring someone with you next time you meet. Tell them your cell phone is vibrating and you need to take the call. ANYTHING that will deter them enough for you to get to a safer location.
And remember this? CRIMINALS LIE! They will tell you anything you want to hear. Don't trust them. Don't believe them. They will say anything to convince you otherwise. Be pleasant to your prospective clients, but keep your guard up.